Brunch is definitely a favorite pastime of mine come Saturday and Sunday mornings, however this compulsion is simultaneously expanding the waste line (as much as I tell myself that ordering the granola is a good idea somehow I always end up eating a big breakfast) and depleting the bank account. I’m on a mission to flip the balance, that’s where this snazzy recipe fits in.
The key here is to not over-think it, this is a recipe made for speed. Even half asleep this little number guarantees a quick 10 minutes preparation from opening the fridge to closing your chompers around the first mouthful.
Vegetarian sausage & egg on spinach leaves
enough for 2 forks
1/4 green or red capsicum, thinly sliced
1/2 tomato, cut into four pieces
2 free range eggs
2 handfuls spinach leaves
2 sanitarium vegetarian sausages (or another brand, or meataraian if you’d prefer)
chives to garnish
2 T olive oil
1 T lemon juice
salt and pepper
1. heat 1/4 of the oil in a non stick pan and gently fry the capsicum and tomatoes until they’re coloured and tender
2. meanwhile in a small bowl mix the spinach, lemon juice and 1 T oil with a decent pinch of salt and a taste of pepper, this is then halved on the serving plates
3. place the capsicum and tomatoes on the serving plates and re-heat the pan immediately, adding the last bit of olive oil
4. fry the eggs and sausages, meanwhile chopping the chives
5. add an egg and a sausage per place, top with the chives and a touch more salt and pepper then enjoy!